Sunday, 23 October 2016

N500m Alledged Bribery, Buhari OrdersProbe


President Muhammadu Buhari in a decisive move to ensure transparency, probity and accountability in consonant with the Buhari's administration anti corruption crusade, the President ordered one of his senior aides to answer to the allegation of taking N500 million bribe from a leading telecommunications firm in Nigeria to reduce a huge fine imposed on it by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).
The aide, according to findings by Sunday
The aide, according to findings by Sunday Vanguard , has already made statement to an investigation team headed by a top police officer mandated by the Presidency to investigate the matter and recommend disciplinary actions.
A source conversant with the work of the Special Investigation Panel, SIP, confirmed that the affected presidential aide vehemently denied receiving the bribe when he appeared before the panel.
It was learnt that all the officials of the telecommunications firm, MTN, who also made statements to the SIP, equally denied ever inducing any government official to get the huge fine of N1.04 trillion imposed on the firm by the NCC slashed to N300 billion to be paid out in many years.
A competent source said, “Officials of MTN, who were invited and interviewed over the allegation, have vehemently denied that any such money emanated from the telecommunications company and that, since the beginning of the $5billion fine saga, nobody had been approached for bribe.
“The top aide of the President, who also honoured the summon of the SIP, distanced himself from reports claiming that he ever collected the said huge sum of money from the telecoms firm.